Disclosure: Please note that links to merchants mentioned within this post might be using an affiliate link which means that - at zero cost to you - I might earn a commission if you buy something through my links. I never recommend anything I don’t personally use and fully stand behind.
How To Start A Mom Blog And Be Successful In 2019
Hey mama! You have decided that you want to find a way to make some money from home and to really focus on your work while your little one is sleeping, or if you have more than one when they are asleep. And, that is admirable, and the great news is, you can make money from home and not have to worry about going back to work! Because the last thing you want to do is face stress that comes with being a working mom. And yet, you want to find ways to contribute financially while you can stay home with your kids!
There are plenty of work at home opportunities, but the one thing that will help you out further is if you create a mom blog. And, you also have to be prepared that success from the blog will not be instant, but if you are consistent with your efforts, it will pay off in the end.
So let’s take a look at the steps to create a mom blog that will potentially bring you plenty of success in 2019:
1. Make a decision on your niche – The thing is, in order to create a successful mom blog, you really have to zero in on a niche. If there is no clarity in regards to that, then you will not end up being successful at all because you will not have the traffic you will need or any consistent followers. This may be challenging because there really is so much to write about. However, you will want to zero in on a niche that you are passionate about. Yes, you will be writing about your parenting journey but what will the focus of your blog be? Are you passionate about traveling, beauty, or DIY? Whatever you want your niche to be, you will want to make sure that there is a strong general interest in it. And the one way to make that determination is if you look at what kind of Facebook groups and pages are available. If there seems to be a lot of interest in the niche you want to write about, then you got it, it’s yours! Now you will need to take the next step.
2. Choose a blogging platform – Most bloggers use WordPress.org self-hosted sites, and this is by far the easiest one. You will want to explore different hosting plans and find which ones are the best. There are Siteground or Bluehost to name a few. Now that you know about your niche, you will want to get yourself a domain name and you can do that through the service that will host your blog. You will also need to look into investing in a web designer’s service to create a catchy and appealing design for your blog. Or, you can find a tutorial on how to design your own blog.Now that the foundation is set, you will need to start writing!
3. Do keyword research and learn about SEO – The fact of the matter is, in order for your blog to be noticed, you need to create some catchy posts, and you will need to learn about on-page SEO as well as doing keyword research. You can use KWFinder to do free keyword research. You will not want to aim for overly competitive keywords. The best ones are long tail keywords which are phrases that are not too competitive but are searched often on Google. And you will need to do this for every post you plan to write.
4. Be consistent with updating new content – You cannot be successful if you only write a post once a month. You need to start off by updating your blog at least once a week, and ideally, you should be writing 2 or 3 times a week and keep it consistent as much as you can. And, you will want to be consistently sharing your content on social media after updating your blog each time. The purpose is to increase your chance of going viral on any other topic.
5. Offer freelance services through your blog – This is where you can start making money. If your blog is successful and you are getting a lot of traffic and new followers, then you can always offer freelance services such as writing, social media management, or proofreading and editing. Those are examples. You can also join revenue sharing programs like Google Adsense, but you will not be making much from those!
6. Offer guest posts on different platforms – You want to also create some backlinks to your own blog, and the best way to do it is by offering guest posts on platforms that have consistently high levels of traffic. Some sites that accept guest posts are those like Mom Resource. You will need additional exposure through this method to help increase traffic for your site.
7. Invest in malware protection software – Unfortunately, hackers can ruin your site by placing bugs and worms into it, and you will need to invest in a program that can keep your site protected. You will also need an SSL certificate so that your site is considered to be trustworthy through Google.
8. Comment on other blogs – If you leave well and thought out comments on different blogs, and you are able to link your site onto the comment area, then that is another way to help bring extra traffic to your site.
And, as long as you are consistent with doing this, then you will get the traffic you want, the followers that you want, and eventually, the money that you want to make! Just be prepared that this will take time to do like anything else and stay patient! Rome was not built in a day, and keep that in mind! You will win in the end if you stay consistent and patient!