Disclosure: Please note that links to merchants mentioned within this post might be using an affiliate link which means that - at zero cost to you - I might earn a commission if you buy something through my links. I never recommend anything I don’t personally use and fully stand behind.
Turning Your Hobby Into An Income Stream
If you’re like most mamas, you probably dream of having a job that’s enjoyable and fulfilling. Maybe the solution is to turn something you love into a way to pay the bills.
You may be thinking, “There’s no way I can make money from my hobby.” But you might be surprised!
Just think how great it would be if you could make money from the one thing that you actually choose to do when you have free time. What could possibly be better than that?
You might not be able to fully replace your regular job right away. However, you could earn a few hundred dollars a month or more for something you would be doing anyway. And that can make a big difference.
The two basic routes to making money from your hobby are:
- Someone out there would like to learn what you know. Don’t make the mistake of believing that you have to be one of the world’s top ten leading experts on something in order to make money at it. Nothing can be further from the truth! If you know more about something than anyone on your street, you can certainly make money teaching others.
- Some ways to teach include:
- Giving seminars (online or in person)
- Selling articles related to your hobby
- Writing and selling a book or e-book
- One-on-one coaching
- Setting up a website that provides educational information and sells related products and services.
- Sell a related product or service. Hobbies require supplies. Other people may as well be purchasing those supplies from you. If your hobby is collecting something, you can buy and sell whatever it is you collect. Or think of businesses related to your hobby. For example:
- If you love animals, you could sell your services as a dog sitter.
- If you love boats, you could sell boat plans or rent boats to vacationers.
- Do you love design and interior decorating? Do you like to watch design shows on TV? You might not be on television anytime soon, but you probably know more about decorating a house than the average family does. Certainly you could charge a few hundred dollars for a consultation.
- What if fishing is your passion? How about owning a bait and tackle shop? You could be a fishing guide. You could sell fishing lures online.
- Do you love to travel? Take lots of pictures and write about your adventures. Travel magazines and websites are always looking for good content. You could also start your own travel website.
The real key is to take time to think about all the ways you could possibly make money related to your hobby. Then you can choose to do so in the most enjoyable way possible.
The hardest part of getting started for most people is marketing; you must market yourself and your business to get clients or customers. So be bold. Tell your neighbors and family members about your plans. Post an ad on Craigslist.com. Make a website. People have to know you’re out there so they can hire you or purchase from you.
Imagine the excitement you’ll feel the first time you cash that check for doing something you used to do for free! Once you make a little money from your hobby, the wheels will really start turning, and you’ll be surprised at all the other ideas that come to mind.
Start today by making a list of all the ways you could possibly make money at your hobby. Have fun, and good luck!